[pct-l] Poison Oak

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Feb 19 08:36:51 CST 2010

Good morning, all,

The greatest infestation of poison oak that I saw on the PCT was in N.
California, particularly just after descending from the north end of Hat
Creek Rim.  Elsewhere, poison oak is scarce and highly avoidable provided
one can recognize the leaves.

Further south, I saw the first significant infestation in the shade
approaching and around Barrel Springs.  That was just last year.  I remember
one hiker who, upon arrival, washed his face in the stock tank then
immediately flopped on the ground in the near-by shade.  I said to him, “I
guess you know you’re within 2 inches of a patch of poison oak?”  whereupon
he instantly froze, except his eyes snapped open so fast I think he got
charley-horses in his eye lids.

Those sensitive to Rhus toxin should be alert anytime brush pushes up to the
side of the trail, particularly in shady canyon bottoms which may experience
moisture in the form of water, dew or rolling fog.

Another caution should be animals accompanying hikers.  Horses’ noses and
legs accumulate toxic oil, and every part of a dog is a great
collector.  Letting
a dog brush by your bare legs in poison oak country is about as bad as
brushing the weed itself.  Pet a dog – any dog – in poison oak country and
you encourage a significant risk of picking up the oil on your hands and
soon spreading it on your face – or anywhere else you touch.

Enjoy an itch-free hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09