[pct-l] Poison Oak - Hat Creek Rim

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:12:18 CST 2010

I remember that section coming down off of Hat Creek Rim - it looked like
poison oak all over, hanging well over the trail, but it didn't look quite
right. It had a little sturdier bush like appearance than the poison oak I
was used to. I wasn't sure, so dodged and weaved till we were out of it.
Later I was in a local museum and saw the identical plant on display. It has
the non PC name of Squaw Bush and is harmless.

However there is some poison oak along the trail, usually below 3500 feet,
and more likely to be hanging over the trail in areas near water. If you are
a Californian, you know it instantly on sight, with all its variations.

If it is new to you, Diane of SantaBarbaraHikes has put together an
excellent slide show of poison oak images. I highly recommend that you look
at each slide in the slide show carefully, even double clicking the images
to get a better look. http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/gorp/poisonoak/
--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html