[pct-l] permit

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Feb 19 14:28:22 CST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 12:45 AM, jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:
> If you are planning to go at least 500 miles than go ahead and apply for a thru permit, but if you are suggesting getting one to just bypass the system when you have no plans to actually attempt a minimum of 500 miles, well, that sounds like you are just trying to beat the system and a bit inappropriate to even suggest.  But, I guess you would not be thinking that way, right?

I do think people should adhere to the spirit and letter of the law or regulations but there is a strange contradiction between the fact that the PCTA is permitted to issue blanket permits with no required daily itinerary but that regional authorities do not.

It would seem to me that whatever logic argues for detailed itineraries and multiple permits at the local level would argue against the PCT long-distance permit system and vice versa.

All the relevant authorities should be able and willing to issue a blanket permit like the PCTA for hikes starting in their jurisdiction.

Radar