[pct-l] Start Date

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 19 16:43:39 CST 2010

Steel-Eye,
Is this really true?
On Feb 19, 2010, at 9:01 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Water availability at Walker Pass is ?iffy?
> and a bit of a nuisance to find -- even at the campground -- and
> there may
> or may not be a water cache where the trail crosses the highway.

All three times I've been to Walker Pass I found a huge concrete
container full of cattails and water. It's about 4 feet high. If you
go around to the back of it, there's a pipe dripping slowly into the
container with fresh, clean water coming out. If for some reason it's
not running, you can filter water from the concrete container.

To find this container, you just walk a quarter mile down the highway
to to west. There is a road cut in the hill on your left. When that
ends, drop down and find first a small rectangular concrete basin and
then to your left, a much larger one. Beware of the stinging nettles.