[pct-l] Tarp in Washington?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 21 11:23:55 CST 2010

Good morning, JJ,

Yes, I use a SilNylon tarp in the Washington rain, and yes I would do so
again.  What I like about a tarp vs. a tent is the lesser weight, the
ability to vary the pitching configuration, and the improved visibility I
have of the immediate surrounding area.

For most of the PCT, i.e. up to Cascade Locks, I carry a combination
tarp/poncho but no other rainwear.  In Washington – or Oregon if I happen to
be hiking in the long rainy season – I have used the tarp/poncho quite a bit
but I prefer to carry a slightly larger tarp which does not have the poncho
hood.  The hood-hole is always a bit of an aggravation to seal when the
thing is pitched as a tarp, plus in known rain country I want more serious
and convenient dedicated rain gear anyway.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=263806

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265651

Not everyone adapts well to tarp sleeping, possibly needing the security of
that massive 1 ounce/square yard fortress around them.  I prefer to sleep
under the stars, and if I must seek shelter I what it as open and as airy as
possible.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye