[pct-l] Tarp in Washington?

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 21 13:50:47 CST 2010

Jim wrote, "I'm thinking of Washington. And rain. And tarps. The question, you ask: if you have used a tarp in Washington, is that what you would do again? Why? Thank you."

Dear Jim,

Especially for WA I would want a tarp, but I agree with Steel-Eye that a small/poncho tarp is not the best choice.  Even though it's a bit on the short side for tall people, I carry a GG Spin-twin when going solo.  It might weight 12 OZ with guy lines (not sure) but it is a  palatial amount of space.

My last torrential rain camp in WA was super comfortable.  This was at the forested saddle near Kendall Katwalk.  I had sighted carefully on slightly domed ground. Couldn't bring myself to jump out right in it so I had a leisurely morning: cooked from bed, while collecting rain water from the two drips off my unstaked center guylines (1 1/2 liters!). Ate my breakfast in a leisurely fashion, I even catholed while under my tarp!  Just try any of that in a tent.  Granted the wind was pretty still.  Of course everything but the tarp is packed up under it.  By the time I finally got around, the rain had slowed.  And I got to drink rainwater and avoid drinking Ridge Lake.  (Hard not to be a water snob in Washington.)

Sincerely, Lollygag 2010 sobo hopeful (2009 sobo PCT attempt stymied by injury at Crater Lake)