[pct-l] routes, Yosemite Hike in Late July

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 22 12:41:39 CST 2010

I know nothing about Ten Lakes Pass. From what I have heard, PCT thru-
hikers experience insane mosquitoes in Section I (Tuolumne Meadows to
Sonora Pass) when they come through. They usually come through in
early to mid-July, if I'm not mistaken. So if your plan is to stay at
higher elevation to avoid mosquitoes, it may not be effective.

I took the Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne instead of the official PCT
trail and I did it in mid-June. It was stunning. Probably the
prettiest place I've ever been in Yosemite. The river was huge and
thundering. The falls were spectacular. Some of the creek crossings
were a bit scary and part of the trail was flown over by the Tuolumne
River. No mosquitoes for me then. I saw a bear! It was amazing.

Diane