[pct-l] Blackberry GPS

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 14:00:24 CST 2010

I have just downloaded TopoExplorer gps onto my Blackberry Bold.  I have read several recent threads from Gadget, Postholer, Halfmile, et al. on gps and smartphones, which have been useful, but now I have some specific questions.  HELP!!! .

1.  This software comes from Skylab Mobilesystems, LTD in Hong Kong.  They say they have no tutorial, guide, instruction book, etc., weither online or otherwise.  If I have a question, I'm supposed to email them and they answer.  Is this a warning sign of future problems?

2.  I am not able to zoom in or out with the GPS map on the BB screen.  Since I'll be carrying Halfmile's printed maps, is this a big deal?

3.  Downloading maps.  Skylab Mobilesystems sells digital versions of USGS 7.5 ' quads, state by state, for about $30 ea.  All of CA exceeds the capacity of a 16 Gb memory card.  They say the maps can be "... used partially."  I'm guessing that I would download a state's maps onto my desktop, then select only those I want to transfer to the SIM card.  Has anybody done this?  Is there an easy way to know which quads to select, or do I need to do it sheet-by-sheet?  Or, ... is there another source for better, easier-to-download maps?

4.   PCT track & waypoints.  I'm aware that H alfmile's site and Postholer.com have the pct track and waypoints available for download.  Is this simple enough for  me to do myself, or do I need to rent a teenager?  Does the trace automatically align itself on the base maps, or will I need to use some specific technique or procedure to achieve the map with the trace / waypoints?  And how do I know which format is appropriate - kml, gpx, csx?

5.  What should I have asked but didn't?  I was a map guy in an earlier life (the in-house GIS shop reported to me), so I'm not stupid - just ignorant.

TIA,

Mango