[pct-l] Blackberry GPS

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 10:57:04 CST 2010

Or, instead of relying on electronic gizmos, learn how to navigate with a map and compass.  It's not that hard.  All one needs is a bit of experience, practice and attention to detail.  The guidebook maps are more than adequate (yeah, black and white, but they're 50k to 1 versions of the USGS 24K:1, which are better maps, that is more detailed, than the Ley full color ~62k:1 maps).

Try a local orienteering meet or three to help practice map and compass navigation.

The above is based on my personal experience in 2006, Kennedy Meadows date of June 14th, straight through to VVR.  I didn't totally break free of the snow until nearly Sierra City in Mid July.  Also, Fuller ridge wasn't all that bad.

On non snowy parts of the tral, navigation is pretty much a non-issue.

TC