[pct-l] Snow Navigation & maps

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 23 17:07:22 CST 2010

Unfortunately, few can read a topo map and "see" it as if
three-dimensionally. That ability is the key, to be able to hold the map in
front of you and compare its information to the scenery before you. It takes
practice and desire, but the freedom it gives is empowering.

AsABat is right about knowing the aspect of the slope you're on, which way
it faces and all the time. It's just one more bit of info that your brain's
"computer" needs to process so you know where you are.

And right again about what's upstairs, the most important thing you can take
on a safe hike is realistic fore-knowledge and experience.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
    P: 888-996-8333