[pct-l] Snow Navigation & maps

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Tue Feb 23 17:11:06 CST 2010

Ah, but JJ, you had the knowledge to input the location of the car
BEFORE you left on your hike.

I remember the early days of GPS and cell phones, the newspaper
reported that a group was rescued in a whiteout because they used
their new cell phone to report the coordinates on their new GPS. If
they had bothered to enter the car location in the GPS, and/or have a
map with a GPS grid on it, and/or had a topo map and figured out that
the slope to the right led to the car, they wouldn't have needed
rescuing in the first place.

I love my new toys. I don't use them much, but they are fun. But my
point it, all this new stuff has made it easier to get deeper in
trouble with the backup plan being "call for help on the cell phone"
rather than "get our butts out of here ourselves by..."

AsABat