[pct-l] Snow Navigation & maps

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 23 18:06:39 CST 2010

I got lost 3 times last summer, so I won't claim to be a navigation
expert. But I did find that topo maps aren't all that useful when you
can't see anything. For example, in Oregon the guide book said to
stay alert to a hidden pond not far from a broad saddle. When all you
can see are trees and you can't even tell if you are on a broad
saddle because all the topography around you looks pretty much the
same, how do you know a hidden pond is anywhere nearby?

I spent a very thirsty night thinking that I was going to have to
hike 8 more miles in the morning to the next water source since I was
pretty sure I had missed this one. Turned out I was camped on the
broad saddle and the pond was less than 5 minutes away. Not sure a
compass would have helped. A GPS would have been useful, but I did
not have one. It was measuring my distance based on my walking speed
and keeping track of the data points in the data book that helped for
these kinds of things. I knew to be looking for the pond at the hour
I arrived that evening, that I ought to find it within 5 or so
minutes plus or minus. It turned out I was right, I just had 5 more
minutes to go.

As for navigating in the snow, the snow offers an advantage over
following the trail in that if there's enough of it you just say
screw the trail and head straight for wherever you're trying to go.
In that case, so long as you can see where you are going, a topo map
is the best tool to have. A GPS would have you following the
switchbacks, something the PCT abounds in.

I like what my friend Lenny who wrote in his journal last summer:
"Summitted wrong pass
again
not that it matters
same valley on the other side."