[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Feb 23 19:24:30 CST 2010

Bring the pie.  I'll eat it.

Mango

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Bravo" <jimbravo at wildblue.net>
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:10:11 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bear Canisters

Thanks to everyone for the great canister suggestions both on and off-list.
This is quite a knowledgeable group. Here is what I have learned:

(1) You can get a heck of a lot more food into a large Garcia than 5 days
worth. Ken "The Crusher" Powers is still the record-holder at 143
person-days, based on my unofficial survey.

(2) I need to adjust slightly the type of food I'm taking. The angel food
cake, lemon meringue pie, and giant pretzels are out. Sorry Mom.

(3) Once I have revised my food choices, I will need to crush and disfigure
it, using the canister to shape it into a giant food-bullet. I anticipate
that this high-calorie bullet can only be extracted from the canister using
multiple mayo packets or camp soap, with a titanium spork for leverage.

(4) I need to practice recognizing this giant ammo as food, and somehow,
learn to eat it. In the Army this is called "food recognition training".

Again thanks...a lot.

Jim
Stray Wolf
Your PCT-L Reporter