[pct-l] Blackberry GPS

Lance Marshall lancem at wvi.com
Tue Feb 23 19:25:24 CST 2010

I have tried several GPS apps on my Blackberry including TopoExporer,
Spot for Blackberry, TrekBuddy, BlackStar, and a quick test of Location
Notes.

My experience with TopoExplorer was quite a while ago, but I had
concluded it wasn't much use for navigating the PCT in conjunction with
Halfmile's maps and waypoints.  Little support/documentation.

Spot for Blackberry was very limited in what it could do.  One datum,
one reference system (ddmm.mm?), difficult waypoint management, 16 point
compass vs. numeric bearing and heading. Little support/documentation.

TrekBuddy is very powerful.  Multiple datums and reference systems.
Virtually any map can be scanned, calibrated and imported. Even a pencil
drawing on a napkin can be scanned, calibrated and imported.  Screen
info and themes can be completely customized.  Lots of information
through website, forums and wiki but not organized.  Long learning
curve.  If the 'stock' screen size doesn't match your phone, you have to
hunt for a suitable one that another user has posted, or create your own
using CMS.  Some units such as altitude are metric only.  File
management (GPX file, map files, atlas files) is clumbsy.  You can read
my 'review' and see screen shots here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_d
isplay.html?forum_thread_id=18446&skip_to_post=147625#147625.  Not a
good choice when your cold tired, and miserable and need a quick GPS
fix.

I downloaded Location Notes today and tried it out.  It appears to only
record waypoints.  No compass, bearing, heading or distance information.
It doesn't appear to have a way to import waypoints.  The UTM feature is
limited to saving the UTM coordinates as a separate field in a waypoint
record.  The UTM coordinates are listed with Northing first followed by
Easting.  Waypoints (location notes) that have been entered can only be
sorted by name, not by distance.  Not particularly useful.

BlackStar is a solid and simple GPS program.  Uses WGS84 datum only.
Three degree/minute/second choices and MGRS.  Three screens: Compass,
text and track.  Easy waypoint management.  I loaded four sections of
Halfmile's GPX files on the SD card and easily imported them into
Blackstar.  Sorts waypoints by distance.  Easy to chose a waypoint and
navigate to it.  I still need to field test it for accuracy.

All of Halfmile's GPX files could be loaded onto SD and then imported
into internal memory as needed.  In conjunction with printed Halfmile
maps, you could easily position yourself on your map and know which
direction and distance to the nearest waypoint.

Free download to desktop or directly over the air to your phone from
blackstarnavigation.com.

BlackStar's use of MGRS shouldn't dissuade you.  MGRS is based on UTM.
The last five digits of MGRS and UTM eastings and northings are the
same.  MGRS preceeds these five digits with two letters which identify
which 1000 x 1000 kilometer grid to begin from.  Because Halfmile's maps
represent only a few miles, the last five digits of the easting and
northing are all you need.

I am also a proponent of strong map and compass skills.  The ability to
identify surrounding features on a map, triangulate a position,
compensate for declination and set a heading are life saving skills.
However, GPS at least adds navigational assurance especially when
visibility is limited or you're not sure from all you map and compass
skills whether the trail is 100 feet to the left of 100 feet to the
right.

-Lance