[pct-l] gluten free hike

Abigail Wilson abiwlsn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:56:27 CST 2010

Thanks for all the advice, guys!  Your suggestions are all very helpful, and
are helping me wrap my mind around the fact that gluten-free is a lifestyle
change, not just a series of substitutions.  I even feel like I'm going to
be eating much better on the trail than I would have otherwise.  Most people
have suggested eating more nuts, cheese, and chocolate - a suggestion I can
get behind 100%!  I need no excuse to eat more of those.  I can't believe I
never thought of using rice noodles - not only are they cheap at Asian
stores, but you don't even have to cook them.  Perfect!

If anyone else is a Celiac, or interested in a gluten-free diet, the
resource I use most heavily is celiac.org.  They don't have anything that's
focused on hikers, but they have a lot of research, recipes, suppliers, etc.
that can be easily translated to a hiker's needs - especially if you
dehydrate your own food.

Jeff - I love sesame, and will definitely keep those bars in mind!
Jim - I'm not a doctor and not in VA, so probably just a coincidence.  :)

Happy hiking to you all!
Abi