[pct-l] Head's up, Class of 2010 (was Tyvek jumpsuits as rain gear?)

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 24 11:31:30 CST 2010

Excellent post, as always, Steeleye.

Precipitation is not limited to the Sierras and points north.  Hikers may encounter any and all of the types of conditions listed below in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN THE SPRINGTIME. Our spring conditions are quite variable, from extreme heat to freezing, rain, and snow. Don't be fooled by the common notion that it's "sunny Southern California" all of the time. Deserts dip to freezing at night, and the mountains you pass through are steep and rugged. Hikers have encountered blizzards in SoCal during the nobo campaign of numerous seasons.

Don't send your rain gear, warm clothes, or shelter ahead thinking good conditions will last.

L-Rod

p.s.  I've seen a fair amount of Tyvek raingear and most users seem pretty happy with it.