[pct-l] Backpacks

Elisabeth M. Chaplin echaplin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:28:15 CST 2010

Crystal,
I too am weighing my options, with the hope that I can streamline my gear
for 2011, so I'm very interested to see what advice you get and what you
ultimately decide on. I guess I've committed myself to the idea of sucking
up the extra cost and purchasing my top picks to try out -- I figure I can
probably sell them used or lend them out to friends in the future. Probably
a luxury you don't have if you're starting this spring!

With that said, the Granite Gear Vapor Ki (as well as brother Vapor Trail)
seem to be well reviewed as far as performance and comfort -- the lack of
pockets seems to be the only major gripe I've consistently found. I am
curious if anyone has modified their pack so that it does have sort of front
access pocket or similar? Also, I would probably want to sew in a front
zipper -- I've always enjoyed that extra access, and I think the extra
weight would be worthwhile to me. But as someone else mentioned, it seems
that regardless of the pack, you just have to learn how to be organized and
work with what you've got!

My top picks so far (research only, no practical experience) are the GG
Vapor Ki or the ULA (probably Ohm?). I've been curious about the women's
specific cuts and whatnot -- have any ladies on the list found non-women
specific packs to be problematic? I know that I noticed a huge comfort
difference between mens/womens' within the Osprey line, for example, mainly
in the cut of the shoulder straps.

Anyhow, best of luck this spring, and please do let me know what you've
decided on :)
Lizzie.