[pct-l] Maps

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 20:23:33 CST 2010

The maps in the Schaffer Guides were adequate for me. In the Sierra I also had the complete set of Tom Harrison's John Muir Trail Maps. It was overkill but I am a total map Geek so for me, it was worth it. It is ironic that my 1991 copy of Scaffers PCT was still totally accurate except for the last few miles into Manning Park. Fortunately Birdman clued me in and I did not end my hike down at the Manning Park Sewage treatment plant instead of the Lodge.
I am sure you have heard this but most folks dice up the guide books and send section in tjeir resupply packages. I used maps but I also think I still would have made it without them due to the numerous blazes and trail markers. I must say the one time I really needed a map but did not have one(destroyed by sweat) was in Goat Rocks Washington. I had climbed up in a total white out of fog. I went right at the junction and up to the top of Old Snowy. I could not see the stupendous view this place is famous for. Oh well, thats the trail. Convinced I had gone the wrong way I went all the way back down when All I had to do was continue over the top. The trail was at my feet but I could not see it for the fog!
 I had relevant pages of the Data Book by Benjamin Go and pages of Yogi's guide as well.
Like I said, I am a total Geek. :)
-Iceaxe

Sent on the Go with my Peek