[pct-l] Down collection process

Bradley Issler bradley.issler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:51:40 CST 2010

*They use the geese that were harvested for food.  Young geese get eaten
too!

http://marmot.com/faq#17

17. What is Marmot's policy on live plucking of geese?*

*Marmot’s Animal Rights Policy:*
We believe in the humane treatment of animals. We do not use down provided
by “live pluck” operations. We only use down provided after geese have been
harvested for food. Our vendors are required to certify that they are
complying with our animal rights policy.

*Live Pluck Issue:*

   1. There are three methods for collecting down and feathers from geese:
      - Machine pluck of dead animal: After harvesting the goose for food,
      the down and feathers are removed by a machine and processed. This is the
      method chosen by Marmot.
      - Hand pluck of dead animal: After harvesting the goose for food, the
      down and feathers are removed by hand and processed. This method is
      primarily used on small farms.
      - Hand pluck of live animal (Live Pluck): Down and feathers are
      removed by hand from a live goose. This method is still sometimes used on
      small family farms.
   2. Marmot DOES NOT use down from live pluck. We have strict requirements
   in place with our vendors to ensure that our animal rights policy is adhered
   to. Humane treatment of animals is an integral part of our company
   philosophy and we will continue to enforce our requirements throughout our
   supply chain.
   3. Additionally, we DO NOT use down from geese that have been raised for
   Foie Gras.