[pct-l] ethical down sleeping bag

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Sat Feb 27 01:20:14 CST 2010

> please understand that people like me sometimes feel like we're surrounded
by a holocaust

I hear you Dan.  I'll join you on the soap box to share this:

According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, the following
number of animals were slaughtered in the US in 2008:

cattle - 34,400,000 - (avg/day 94,247)
calves - 956,600 - (avg/day 2,621)
hogs - 116,500,000 - (avg/day 319,178)
sheep and lambs - 2,560,000 - (avg/day 7,014)
chickens - 9,075,261,000 - (avg/day 24,863,729)
turkeys - 3,672,000 - (avg/day 10,060)

That's more than 9.2 BILLION creatures that suffered short terrible lives
and died brutal deaths in factories in a single year in the US alone.  25
million chickens slaughtered each day for food - 288 per second.  It takes a
whole lot of indifference to allow that to keep happening.

I may crack a joke about Marmot killing geese so they can more ethically
collect down from already dead birds, but you're right, other creatures
suffering isn't funny.

Ok, back off the box. Sorry for the rant.

Potential 178
www.hikefor.com