[pct-l] Heavy Leather Hiking Boots

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:57:10 CST 2010

Interesting perspective on foot wear.

That probably works today.

It was contrary to the trend when I walked the PCT in 1980.

Of course, back then, the trail wasn't completed, there were several sections in Northern California when we had to bush-wack, guided by ribbons tied to vegetation that marked where the trail was going to be cleared but wasn't yet. We spent a lot of time slogging through the snow where the trail was "supposed to be" and, yes, there were many stretches where we had to walk along the highway.

Of course, I even carried a tent the entire trip so I obviously wasn't as concerned about weight as a lot of hikers are today.

If I was hiking the PCT this year, I probably wouldn't wear high-topped, Vibram-soled, leather hiking boots if the trail was as perfect as it is now puported to be.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201