[pct-l] Post PCT

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Sat Feb 27 11:55:19 CST 2010

Re-entry can be a little depressing.

When you're thru hiking, that's what you are: a thru-hiker.  There's little
to question about what your goal is, what your existence is about, and what
community you belong to.  When you're in a trail town sitting at a
restaurant there's a high probability another hiker will show up and join
you.

For me, there was one specific moment when I felt a sense of loss about my
(incomplete) hike being over.  I was sitting in a restaurant in Vancouver on
a busy street under gray clouds after months of hiking under clear skies -
millions of people around and I realized not a single one would walk in,
immediately recognize me as part of their community and join me. I hadn't
realized what a comforting feeling it was being part of the thru-hiking
community until I wasn't any more.

Potential 178
www.hikefor.com