[pct-l] Hiking Poles

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Feb 27 15:48:12 CST 2010

On Feb 27, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Bryan Laufenberg wrote:

> Does anyone know if hiking poles are allowed on planes these days as a carry
> on or in your carry on.  Does it matter if they are collapsible? Carbon vs
> Aluminum?  I hope they aren't considered a weapon...  Thanks!

You'll have to check or ship hiking poles, pocket knife, perhaps stoves,
probably tent stakes, etc.

My strategy is to purchase a cheap duffle bag, pack all my gear (including
the pack itself) in the duffle bag (gear outside of pack).  You can ship
the duffle bag home at your destination or toss it/give it away.

You'll also find that when traveling by bus you won't be able to bring your
pack with poles on the bus.  You'll have to put it underneath.

Radar