[pct-l] Hiking Poles

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Sat Feb 27 16:10:54 CST 2010

On Saturday 27 February 2010, Gary Wright wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Bryan Laufenberg wrote:
> > Does anyone know if hiking poles are allowed on planes these days
> > as a carry on or in your carry on.
>
> You'll have to check or ship hiking poles, pocket knife, perhaps
> stoves, probably tent stakes, etc.

On a recent flight from STN, hiking poles with a sharp point were
definitely out for carry-on. Even without the carbide tip on my Leki,
it would have been debatable. Also on the list of problematic items:
Tent pegs - Thinner ones like Ti will certainly cause problems.
Metal sporks - Plastic cutlery is OK.
Stove fuels - Alcohol, butane/propane, petrol (gas) - Forget it.

A simple rule to get through the security circus - If it *might* be used
as a weapon, put it in checked luggage or mail it on ahead.

Regards, Paul.