[pct-l] post pct

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Feb 28 10:41:32 CST 2010

Some would say that a wilderness experience is closer to being the real
world, and that it provides a level of healing from the man-made world.

Stray Wolf

I totally agree.  The trail is the real world, where you must cope with
the weather.  If you want to talk to someone, you must go find them.  (I
carry a cell phone for emergency contact with one family member but have
used it only twice).  You eat, you sleep, you walk, you experience the
surroundings with all your senses.
When my husband and I finished our longest hikes, we were both sobbing
as we approached the parking lot.  One year I wore trail clothes for the
first month back at work.  Another year I started sobbing in a training
meeting on the first day back at work, having finished my hike the day
before.  For months after a hike I have mental flashbacks of lovely
places on the trail.  They hit me out of the blue, interrupting my daily
mental grind.
The trail is the real world to me, and my existence at home seems like
the virtual world. So much purposeless activity, so much reliance on
technology, which is just great until it doesn't work.
Marion