[pct-l] Campo to Kennedy Meadows gear list

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jan 1 10:18:10 CST 2010

Happy New Year, Bill,

Without knowing your style of hiking or what you carry on the JMT in August
it’s hard to be specific, but here are some general observations:

1.      Everything up to KM is outside the SIBBG control area so there is no
requirement, or functional need, for a bear ‘can.

2.      The southern portion can be cool at night – often freezing – so I
carry something warmer than a summer sleeping bag.

3.      The desert regions can be hot, depending upon the particular year,
maybe 100+ deg. F during the afternoon, so sun protection is important.

4.      I pack the ability to carry about five liters more water than I
would in the Sierras.

5.      You could hike the JMT without a water purification method, but some
of the southern water sources are kind of “iffy” so plan accordingly.

6.      I find additional electrolytes are necessary when sweating
profusely.  I like the flavored kind which also helps me gag-down 120 deg.
water from my bottle.

7.      I find AsABat’s water report is the single most valuable piece of
information that I carry up to KM.   http://www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater

8.      I recommend getting the gear weight down to less than ten pounds,
and the “skin-out” weight less than fifteen.  Of course, that applies to the
entire trail as far as I’m concerned.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye