[pct-l] dogs on trail

Irwin Reeves ireeves at dc.rr.com
Fri Jan 1 17:11:04 CST 2010

I agree with Capt. Bivy.  Several years ago I talked with a man who lived in Snow Creek regarding dogs on the PCT.   He said several times
each hiking season for the last several years he had helped rescue dogs from the Fuller Ridge trail down to I-10.  The dogs wore out their
foot pads to the point that all were bleeding  and could NOT walk.  This meant some person had the carry the dog to the nearest
car.  This is tough work with a pack and dog.  What some animal owners don't realize is when you take on the responsibility of owning
and caring for a animal, this animal becomes your responsibility just like a child.  My wife and I have 3 dogs and 4 cats.  I would not want
to take any  of them a hike.  It would be a added burden on the hike and a responsibility that I do not need.

Keep the hike fun and easy for both yourself and the animal.  Leave the animal at home.

Crash  (Irwin Reeves)