[pct-l] Poncho/tarp

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 1 18:06:05 CST 2010

My friend Lenny used a Golite poncho tarp the whole distance. He is
6'5". He survived in rain, snow and bugs. This is a picture of how he
would set it up.
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=420901&back=1

I had the same tarp. I am 5'3". I chose to carry a tent after Kennedy
Meadows. I wanted generous protection from mosquitoes.

I did some measuring of my various options, based on manufacturers
weights. With the options that didn't involve a poncho, I added in
the weight of my umbrella. I used rain chaps in all three options so
I didn't add their weight. I didn't have a rain jacket so that was
not an additional weight, either.

Option 1
The One tent 16 oz
umbrella 10 oz
Total: 26 oz (guy lines included)

Option 2
8x10 tarp 14 oz
A16 Bug Net 6 oz
umbrella 10 oz
Total: 30 oz + guy lines (unknown weight)

Option 3
Poncho tarp 10 oz
A16 Bug Net 6 oz
Equinox bivy sack 6.5 oz
Total: 22.5 oz + guy lines (unknown weight)

The weights were so close between the tent and the poncho that I
think the tent is a better choice because it is simpler and provides
a more generous space for refuge from mosquitoes. The umbrella was a
failure for rain but a success for sun.

Hope that helps a little.