[pct-l] FreezerBag Cooking/ Resupply strategies

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat Jan 2 15:04:17 CST 2010

But once again, what is being discribed in that link isn't how freezer bag cooking is practiced on the trail.  In that link, they are talking about the bag
being placed in boiling water which puts far more heat stress on the fabric for a far longer period of time then anything that we are doing in the
backcountry.  Once again, most of us are pouring hot water (not even boiling water) in the bag where the temperature is drastically ropped simply by
mixing it with the food in the bag.  I'd argue that what we are doing is less stressful then microwaving in the bag (which is considered safe) which also
has very hot wet food touching the plastic bag; only in mircorwaving, the food is getting hotter while as in backcountry Freezer Bag Cooking,
the temperature  is dropping all the time.

I'm not saying you have to use freezer bags to cook in, but links like that one and the one from yesterday are misleading and don't lead
to an educated decision of this issue since what they discribe doing isn't the same thing as what we are talking about.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen