[pct-l] Digital maps

Dan Kronstadt subs at kronhead.com
Mon Jan 4 23:54:14 CST 2010

You can do this with most middle to high end GPS devices. But - I know
Garmin can only use their own maps, so getting coverage for the entire
PCT might cost a couple of hundred bucks. I think some of the other
brands can use free maps.

I would probably go with one of the larger screen sizes - touch screen,
so no buttons taking up space on the front of the gps. My Garmin 60csx
has a fairly small screen, and I find the topo maps hard to use generally.

Some other possible advantages of a GPS over a smartphone - std
batteries so you can replace them easily if they get drained (and maybe
use rechargeable batteries if you can work out some way to recharge them
on the go), and better battery life - 20-25 hours per. Also, better
signal pickup strength, I think - better antennae.

If you do use a smartphone, make sure the app can download maps ahead of
time - because you wont get a signal for on-the-fly downloads on the trail.

Dan