[pct-l] Resupply package - freshness

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:04:05 CST 2010

I think I may have been generalizing too much when I said that fat
tends to go bad quicker than other ingredients.

There are ways of giving fat a very long shelf life. Dried sausages
and many other dried fatty meats do in fact keep well. This depends on
the process.

Salt and many other preservatives can be added to extend the storage
time of fat.

Traditional dried meats are often preserved via lactic fermentation
and/or high sodium or acid content.

Acids, like tomato, citrus, ... can extend the shelf life of fat. So
maybe that meat and tomato pasta sauce could keep OK?