[pct-l] Going Cookless

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 16:57:37 CST 2010

First, fires in SoCal have nothing to do with the type of stoves used.

A negligent user is going to cause a fire with an alchy stove...or a Whisperlite.
(I remember almost singeing my very thick eyebrows and scaring the family dog
back in the day with my Whisperlite!  I was smart enough to use it on the concrete
patio. Imagine if it was my first time in the chaparral of SoCal ?!?!? :O)

I have no proof, but my gut reaction is that people causing the fires are not experienced
outdoor users.  Using a stove for the first time in any environment ain't the best
cost of action.

(Even experienced thru-hikers aren't necessarily experienced outdoors people.
Most AT hikers are used to shelter-to-shelter hiking as one quick example. But that's another
thread. Any why I stress fitness for outdoors people as opposed to training for a thru-hike. :) )

Also, remember, the bottom of many of the homemade alcohol stoves work well for esbit. Does not
have to be an EITHER / OR proposition. ;)

As for showing how to go stoveless. It ain't rocket science..or my idea. :) I gleefully stole it
from Garlic and Pickle on the AZT section hike we did together. They stole it from others.  John Muir did it
long before we all did. ;)  I went stoveless for the first time on this AZT stretch.

Most of the typical backpacker foods hydrate just fine without cooking. Cous cous, mashed potatoes, ramen, hummus
and dehydrated black beans (often found in the ethnic aisle of most food stores) work just fine. There are other
examples. Throw in a ziplock when you get to camp. Or splurge and get a throwaway ziplock container for perhaps a 1 oz penalty.
The mighty tortilla wrap brings it all together.

One of my personal favorite meals is Mashed potatoes with pepperoni bits.  Cous cous with tuna. One memorable
day I packed in microwave burritos for my first day on the trail. :D

If I want to cook gourmet food, I am more than capable of doing it.
I just prefer a stove, a oven, and my full panoply of pots and pans found at home.
(Made a roasted turkey leg infused with garlic and covered with caramelized onions the other night. Served with a simple
brown rice and spinach sauteed in lemon juice, olive oil and garlic.  Over New Years day I made a ricotta pie that was
flavored with homemade custard, strawberries and kiwis. I can cook damn it! )

When backpacking, I want to KISS.

This "no stove method" is not for everyone. I am a minimalist and don't mind cold food. I also only did one hot meal a day so the
switch was not drastic for me. As mentioned, I use other stoves based on the trips I do.

For my own take on stoves, go to this link:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html

I'll sum it up again THERE IS NO BEST GEAR.  Only what is best for you, your situation, hiking style etc.

FINALLY:  Remember folks, it is just a stove. While gear is important, it is the LEAST important part of hiking.
The top of Mt .Whitney is  gonna look pretty damn cool no matter what you used to make your "Generic Glop of Noodles and
Things" the night before.   Go out, hike, and enjoy yourselves.   The internet "discussions" are just gear wankery until we
all get outside. ;)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/