[pct-l] Printing Halfmile maps in color

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jan 7 10:12:59 CST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Carolyn Eddy wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer but I am in publishing and I'm pretty sure his maps are his
> intellectual property so would be covered by copyright law.
> Unless he just copied them from elsewhere. I haven't actually seen them.

I don't think anybody disputed that point.  But if Halfmile is granting
people the right to print and use his maps then I don't think it matters if
they do it on their printer, Kinko's printer, or Lulu's printer.

Even if you assemble the PDF files for use with Lulu, each individual
person is going to the Lulu site and paying for Lulu to print and ship
the book.  The person who prepared the files for use at Lulu isn't getting
any money from the process unless they set the selling price at above
cost on Lulu, which I think *would* introduce legal/ethical issues.

Gary Wright (Radar)