[pct-l] Printing Halfmile maps in color

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jan 7 11:22:37 CST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Postholer wrote:
> If I had access to royality free topo maps I would have published a couple
> years ago through lulu.com with the proceeds going to the PCTA.

I looked at the TOPO license, which is restrictive as you describe regarding digital distribution.  What isn't clear to me is if the costs for hardcopy reproduction can be passed along without violating the 'non-commercial, freely distributed' clause in the contract and/or if the license is transferrable (i.e. can the recipient of a hardcopy made by the owner of the TOPO software make and freely distribute additional copies?).

My gut says that if I buy TOPO software, make multiple hardcopy copies of the map and simply charge for the printing costs with no extra 'profit' that I'm probably *not* violating the terms of the NatGeo license but that is just my non-lawyer gut speaking and only applies to the owner of the TOPO software and to hardcopy (not digital) distribution.

Gary Wright (Radar)