[pct-l] desert camping

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 8 09:26:05 CST 2010

And I'll add that if you do decide to do some winter hiking in the
desert, please understand that the whole Southern California section
of the PCT is not desert. Only a small portion of it is actual desert
with mesquite, cactus and all that.

Much of what you'll see is something called Chaparral, which is an
elfin forest that grows in a few regions around the world, including
the mediterranean region, parts of Australia and Baja California, and
the coast ranges where you'll be walking. Yes, it is hot, yes it is
dry, but it gets a lot of rainfall during a small window of time when
most PCT hikers are not hiking. Sometimes a foot of rain in a single
day. This is why the forest service protects the land. It is the
watershed. The city of Santa Barbara is able to get enough water for
its needs from this watershed (but it does have backups).

I spent time reading the list before heading out with a feeling of
fear that I would spend a month in the desert baking in the sun. I
pictured the mojave all the way. I was surprised to find myself
mostly in forest above the desert, looking at the desert floor below.
I enjoyed the Big Cone Spruce and live oak forests on the north
slopes, and the small bit of riparian and oak woodlands and oak
savannah near Warner Springs. There were wildflowers and places with
oaks that don't grow in the even drier places where I live. I was
happy there was so much more beauty in So Cal than I was led to believe.

So, be prepared for long stretches without water, but realize it is
not because the region is such a dry desert there is no water. It's
only because the PCT is a slave to the crest. Look at any regional
trail map and you'll see that the older trails follow the creeks,
which is the smarter thing to do.

Good luck and please try to appreciate the chaparral for the unique
ecological community that it is.

Diane