[pct-l] Resupply package - freshness

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:52:45 CST 2010

On my through hike in 1980, my sister was my lifeline. Alone with my mom and her daughters, they would package up my food boxes and ship them to pick up points I had identified as part of my initial planning. We were usually 1 food drop ahead. In other words, when I was at drop point X, the shipment for drop point X+1 was already in the mail but the shipment for drop point X+2 was pending final review. This gave me the ability to adjust, via phone calls, depending on what was working and what wasn't working. One problem I had was my mom's habit to over-send. (Oh, if mijo needs 2 pounds of this, I think I will send him 4  pounds so he doesn't get hungry.) The biggest treat in the shipments was jerky. I had beef jerky, ham jerky and for the poetically inclined turkey jerky. One particular batch was thicker than most and correspondingly not as dehydrated. Fortunately, it was the beef jerky. Warmed up over a campfire, it was as close to steak as you can get on the trail. I made sure to watch this supply because the fatty edges were noticably grissly. But I think the salt and seasoning kept it from going rancid. And with this batch, to be on the safe side, I was more generous than normal sharing with trail mates. (And yes, as it turned out, this was one of those cases where my mom doubled the batch.)

I would recommend a good dehydrator and a "supply angel" from the home front to keep meat products part of the supply shipments.

Unless your are vegetarian of course.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201