[pct-l] "Fragile flowers" discussion

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Sat Jan 9 14:54:09 CST 2010

My own 2 cents--I think that the trail angel PCT Mom hits the nail on the head. The trail has metamorphed into many things for many people. Just the fact that there is a physical trail cut into the earth is somewhat like the water caches---it makes it easier going than cross country travel, just as the caches remove part of the challenge of carrying a lot of water.

I think we have to come to grips with change and evolution on the trail. Especially as more people discover the trail. One thing no one has brought up is the impact of climate change on the PCT. As water sources dry up, will the government agree to a re-routing the trail to accomodate people's needs? I don't think so. So the caches perform a valuable service to keep people out there, and in a paraphrase of Edward Abbey--if you get out there you will be granted one victory over the bureaucrats--you will outlive the bastards. (No offence to bureaucrats--I was a government one myself for many years).

I believe, and this is through my time as a US Forest Service, Park Service and US FIsh and WIldlife Service bureaucrat--you will love the thing that you know and want to protect it. Keeping more people on the trail helps to protect the PCT and other places in this American earth because they will know it firsthand, have a relationship with it. I'm waxing touchy feely--sorry to all of you hard headed types.

-Fireweed