[pct-l] class of 2009

tom aterno nitnoid1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 09:00:09 CST 2010

Hannah,

Here is Mystic's submission letter.

Dear PCT 09ers      (IM sorry about the length but please take your time and read....

   Hello and congratulations to each and all of you for your blistering achievements and accomplishments carried out this summer on the Pacific Crest Trail. Like each year it was a very unique and special cast of hikers all partaking in some of the most memorable and fascinating days of our lives. Though the trail at our feet has been trekked before us many times over, it was the people of this year that made it a fresh and exciting experience. Some of you I met along the way, but many more I did not, yet each of us contributed in giving personality and character to the class of 09. To help bring this summer's hike to a visualized summary I am now asking that you contribute once more your time and some effort into reading this message and working together with me in creating a yearbook slideshow that can suitably represent this years rocking PCT class of 09.

   So first of all: Currently I am working with an email list of about 220 hikers compiled by Scholar with the help of Firefly(Georgi)and LRod's(Donna) contact list,plus a few more. Undoubtedly there are still many hikers that have slipped through the cracks so I'm asking that if ANYONE notices any lacks in the list to please forward this message to them or email me so I can be sure to add them. This will assist me in making sure no one is left out as well as give me depth and the most varied perspective in putting this project together. I will put one more message on PCT-L and Trail Journals as well as the PCT09 Facebook and Yahoo groups.

   The PCT yearbook tradition is a brainchild of a past and current hiker, WeatherCarrot. Started in 04, it has been carried out annually in the off season each year by a team of hikers in conjunction with the rest of the trail community. The basic premiss of the yearbook is to bring a wide,concise and geographically north representation of the trail in all its glory to an audience of both hikers and non/or potential hiker folk. It aims to represent trail life and its many facets such as stunning landscapes, interesting people, unusual situations, wildlife, town life, trail angels, painful blisters, weathered gear, feats of eating, etc. While the main audience to which it will appeal will be the class of its year, it also should give outside viewers an interesting perspective to which they can gain insight on the trail and its community of hikers. This is where your photos and efforts will be most appreciated.

    With advances in technology it has become both easier and more arduous. Easier in the sense that due to larger formatted memory cards, photos and video can now be taken in abundancy with little cost by rather basic camera equipment. An extremely efficient method for hikers attempting to maintain their desired lightweight approach yet still record a thorough account of their hikes. More difficult in the sense that more photos often means more work in the editing leg of the process as its impossible to include all images in the "keeper" list.... so in short, the more sifting through your own photos you can do the easier it will be for me to start putting everyones submissions into action. I'll explain how to approach this first step.

    Basically I'd like to see all of everyones pictures and will accept however many are sent for consideration. Get a chance to see how everyone else approached photographing the hike. What I'm asking for as far as editing on your behalf goes is that you take the time to remove photos that are just not usable. This includes way over exposed or underexposed shots, shots that are extremely out of focus and duplicate or redundant shots. For example if you took 20 shots of Mt Hood, a rattlesnake or oil wrestling in the same day just choose a few that you think were the best. It's a huge help for me if everyone can take this time to do this instead of me trying to sift all the photos myself. Once you have been able to whittle down your collection place your photos on CD into 5 separate folders:Southern CA, Central CA, Northern CA, Oregon and Washington. If you have the time try to put trailnames to people and places the best you can.

    As far as file size goes I'm looking for jpeg formats at high resolution. At least (1600 X 1200 pixels) NOT COMPRESSED! The higher quality the photo the more cropping and work can be done with it in post and the better it will look when enlarged.If your pictures are smaller go ahead and send them anyway and Ill still try to work with them. Same goes for RAW/NEF files.If you need to send multiple cds thats fine too. As far as content goes I really want whatever you have. ALL OF IT WILL BE CONSIDERED. Natures shots and people shots will be a greater part of the show but funny and unusual shots are needed as well. Artistic shots and macro shots are also great. No discretion needed. If you have video you shot on your camera go ahead and send anything in you think would be great for the project. Less talk or narrative is best due to the fact that the show will be set to music. If you recorded many hours then please pick and choose what you send.Last is
 music. Here as well Id like input. Send me some songs on your cds or give me some suggestions to listen too. A variety of music will be needed so the more ideas the better. Anything will help.

   Id like to have all submissions by the 15th of December. This project is huge and will take a lot of time so the sooner I can begin the work the better chance it will be done by kickoff. It will not be shown in full till then nor will it be mailed so please try to find me there if your interested in owning one. If your not planning to be at kickoff please mail an address to which you would like it mailed to on the CDs you send me. The project is done on a volunteer basis but there certainly will be costs involved such as software, and printing.Id like also to make a hard case for this year or at least a sleeve with a well designed cover. So it will be of no charge to you but any donations to the yearbook will be greatly appreciated. This can be sent with your CDs as well or mailed separate. The address to mail to is{  MICHAEL SMITH PCT ,374 NORTH BENNINGTON RD.   BENNINGTON  NH  03442  } I look forward to receiving your photos and making this
 worth your while.

Hope everyone is now getting over trail emo and thinking ahead to next years season.  Thanks for everything...  Mystic*  (If you have any questions youd like to ask email them to me or give a call 6035882082)