[pct-l] Mojitos

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:21:59 CST 2010

> You can bring a fully enclosed light weight tarp tent such as...

The tarptents are a pretty good option and I use one when I backpack
with my wife.

For solo backpacking I personally have and love ultarlight bug bivys
like the SMD Meteor and the SMD Serenety net tent under a tarp. The
combination weighs approximately one pound.

This allows full bug protection, acts as a ground cloth and is roomy.

Some may consider a full meshed tent a better option, but I have to
watch may pack weight and I like the freedom, comfort and flexibity of
the tarp/mesh combination.

Comfort is relative, the less weight in my pack the more comfortable I am.

I have tried the nets that attach to the upper part of the sleeping
bag, but found I felt more constrained and felt that ticks and other
crawlies could get in. I often backpack in Lyme disease country and
have had it before. I never want to go through that again so I am a
bit more paranoid than most.

--
... when your feeling blue, and you've lost all your dreams, there's
nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!

http://kayakbrooklyn.blogspot.com