[pct-l] Weather in the Sierras

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 12 19:05:26 CST 2010

It can be cold, cool, nice, warm, and hot, all in the same day.  It is generally cool to cold in the evenings at higher elevations and sometimes down to freezing.  Days are mild and warm, comfortable usually, but can be cool at higher elevations.  But usually pretty nice overall.  Pants or long johns under shorts for early morning and late in the day into the evening, a sweater or vest, a light shell jacket, and a beenie should do it.  A change of dry socks is kinda nice if crossing streams constantly and slogging in snow fields and soaking shoes.
Personally I doubt anything will get "crazy", but like I suggest, it can be anything from cold to warm.  Elevation and wind is a factor.  Mid-June the worst that you'll get might be, I say might, could be a thunder storm system that could possibly drop a light dusting of snow, which shouldn't cause any real problems, but freaks out some folks.  The latest heavy snow I know of personally was a couple years back where it dumped two feet of real snow on Memorial Day weekend at the end of May.
Just as a side note as I tend to pack pretty light, light to medium weight really depending on season and camera gear.  If things get weird, and or you are just geting too cold and can't get warm, stop and get in your sleeping bag under your shelter and warm up.  The sleeping bag is your last line, and should be sufficient for most with a rating of 20 degree depending on the fill, loft, and how much energy your system is producing when you sack up.  Eating and digestion, cell activity, create body warmth as does a full bladder rob it by having to keep your wiz up to temp.  If you have a bottle you feel safe putting very warm to hot water in, place that in your sleeping bag to warm up your feet, hands etc...
Have fun and enjoy the beautiful Sierra... !!!