[pct-l] Trail Maps and Data Books - Which combos are enough?

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Wed Jan 13 16:20:11 CST 2010

I carried everything on the trail this year.  I started off with the Wilderness Press Guidebooks, Databook, and Yogi's Guidebook.  But by Big Bear, I added the PCT Atlas when I noticed that it was back in stock.

The Blacks' PCT Atlas and Yogi's guidebook are a good combo to hike the trail.  In fact, there were often times when those were the only things that I used.  However, you will only know abou the trail itself and nothing about what some of the signts off the trail that you may see in the distance and perhaps want to visit.  You will not know anything about a few of the more scenic alternative routes that you may want to take instead (most hikers take at least the scenic Eagle Creek Alt route in Oregon which Black doesn't show).

Carrying the WP Guidebooks and databook (I still recommend Yogi's Guidebook) are more then adequate to hike the trail as many thru-hikers can attest.  There was once time that I missed a trail junction in the evening and got off the PCT.  I didn't notice until the next morning.  Black's Atlas didn't show any of the trails I was seeing.  However, on the edge of one of the WP guidebook maps, I found where I was and was able to rejoin the PCT without backtracking.  The guidebook tells you about the area you are hiking in and any alternate routes available (too many in fact).

You can't really go wrong with either choice, but I do like the ease of just glancing at Black's Atlas pages over reading the WP guidebook.  But I do wish it was cheaper and showed just a little more info.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen