[pct-l] Trail Maps and Data Books - Which combos are enough?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed Jan 13 16:34:49 CST 2010

hans at netupgrades.com wrote:
> Can anyone give advice or opinions on which set or even another seems
> best at this time?

I think everyone will have a different opinion. In 2008, I attempted to
through hike and only made it as far as Paradise Cafe. So here is 150
miles worth of opinion.

I carried sections from the Guidebooks, Yogi's guide, The Data Book and
The PCT Atlas. I found that the trail was so well marked that I seldom
looked at the maps.

I found the Guidebooks useless. I did not have the time to sort through
all the verbiage to find the useful information.

I consulted the Databook continually to estimate mileage hiked. If you
like to keep track of your progress on a map or GPS, you may find the
Databook less useful, especially of you have the PCT Atlas with you. I
liked having the larger number of data points in the Databook, even if
some of them were not very clear.

I used Yogi's guide for water information. The Water Report tells you if
a water source had water at some time in the recent past. Yogi's guide
gives a description of the water source, along with its reliability.
Between the two, you have a very good idea where to plan on getting water.

The maps in the PCT Atlas were more than adequate. (I had the first
edition with black and white maps). I also liked having the elevation
profiles, though thinking too much about what was ahead didn't help me
where I was at at the time. I probably would have been fine without them.

If (When?) I try again, I will not carry the Guidebook. I will carry the
Databook, Yogi's book, and the PCT Atlas. I may also carry Halfmile's
maps through areas that are likely to be snowed in.