[pct-l] Water at Golden Oak Spring

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 01:38:43 CST 2010

Rodriguez Truck Trail Water Tank: Mile 68.4
Red Rock Water Tank: Mile 502.8

These water tanks made my top two. Both tanks had an abundance of organic/inorganic debris floating in green/brown water. This in itself wasn't too unusual but the reports of hikers seeing dead rodents floating in the tanks freaked me out a bit. I didn't personally see a dead rat floating in the tank but the water report's warnings were enough to get my imagination rolling. The fact that the water tasted horrible didn't help matters. Adding Propell helped, but not much.

Willow Springs was more disgusting visually than the tanks but at least I was able to see what I was working with.

For what it's worth, the water in the "guzzler" cisterns between Lake Hughes and Hiker Town were also rather difficult to drink from. Filtering through a bandanna didn't remove all of the squiggly insects, though Aqua Mira at least killed the ones I could see.

You can't always be picky about your water in the desert. When it's 106F and the next water is 9 miles away, you choke down what's available.

Jason Moores