[pct-l] Trekking poles?

sojo hendrix sojo42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:15:52 CST 2010

I love my trekking poles, which are Leki Super Makalu with shock absorption.
I've used the same set since 1997. Thru-hiked the AT with them in 2001 and
Long Trail in 2002. They'll be with me this year on the PCT. They are great
for getting your upper body more involved when climbing, helpful for balance
on rocky terrain or stream crossings, and do aid the 'ol knees when
descending. On flat terrain they help me maintain rhythm and pace.  If you
find yourself on terrain where you don't want to use them, or need your
hands, just collapse them and stow in your pack. Some packs have quick stow
features for poles. No reason to ever give them up.

Sojourner