[pct-l] Trekking poles?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 14 21:24:40 CST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 7:09 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I'm not sure if this was mentioned that most (or at least many)
> people experience swelling in their hands while hiking if they're
> down at your sides. Trekking poles alleviate that.
>
> P178

Oh yeah, that's a huge benefit for me.

Also, they are really good for dogs. I cross them in front of me and
that keeps people's dogs away.

I don't know how I would have managed some of the creeks I
encountered without them. Being able to poke at a milky glacier
creek's bottom to see if I'm about to step in a deep hole is quite a
lifesaver. Granted you can do that with a stick, but it's nice to
always have a stick or two handy.