[pct-l] Thru hiker questions

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:32:16 CST 2010

Part of my issues in 1980 were the weight I was carrying (about 45 pounds, on average) and the fact that I have weak ankles.

When I got back on the trail after a break to take care of several case of shin splints (nerf-ball sized swelling) that nearly turned into thrombophlebitis, I was able to walk through deep snow in the Desolation Wilderness area in my heavy leather boots. They were perpetually water-logged and frozen; they acted like a soft cast. They eventually shaped around my feet and fit like gloves. Gloves that weighed several pounds.

I still have a problem with swollen ankles / shins today but it tends to get worse the longer I sit at my office desk.

On weekends, I like to wear a pair of lighter hiking boots that I bought for a day hike when I visited family in California. My wife hates them; she says they look nerdy. She bought me -- you guessed it -- a pair of brown leather boots. I wear them occassionally, mainly in recognition of their being a birthday gift, but after wearing the real thing for half a year, they just don't cut it.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201