[pct-l] Printing maps in color

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 17 19:13:56 CST 2010

Good afternoon, all,

I believe Trekker’s process of coating maps is probably the best idea – and
I seriously considered doing that, or something similar – but I didn’t.  I
just carried plain, untreated HalfMile maps.

I carry two 8.5 in. x 11 in. Ziploc bags.  One has only the print(s) for
that day’s travel and is kept close at hand.  This bag has some risk of
becoming wet if the bag leaks and/or I’m not careful when I open the sack to
reposition a map. The other sack has the remainder of the maps and is
carried flat inside my pack -- well-protected with very little likelihood of
becoming wet

On the average, each map covers about 7.5 trail-miles so a day’s travel will
require three or four maps.  Because I print both sides of the paper to save
weight I would then probably carry two sheets – four map pages – in my day
Ziploc.

If a map does see some water it will likely only be damp in spots, and would
remain mostly readable rather than being soaked with the ink running.

I don’t use the maps constantly, sometimes referring to them only once or
twice a day where there may be confusion.

 All that means:  1) IF I must refer to a map; AND, 2) if my Ziploc has been
exposed to moisture; AND, 3) if my Ziploc has leaked; AND, 4) if the leakage
dampened the map I need; AND, 5) if the leakage is in an area of the map
that I need to see; AND, 6) if the dampening has smudged ink in that area
sufficient to make reading not possible -- I may have a problem. That’s a
six-part series in sequential conditional logic.  Assign any percentages you
want to each of them, then multiply all of them in sequence and you’ll
probably see that there is only a 1%-2% chance of having a problem, and
every step of the sequence is within the control of the hiker.

Therefore, I saved the time, trouble, and expense of waterproofing the maps.
Would I do anything different faced with days of rain in the Northwest?  Maybe,
but I would probably just double-bag the daily maps.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09