[pct-l] Bad weather shelter testing--now!

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Mon Jan 18 18:36:15 CST 2010

Excellent opportunity to test your shelters! We encourage everyone to set up
their tents, tarps, and ponchos in their back yards to see how they fare in
wind, rain, and snow. Test your gear in the worst of conditions and you'll
be fine on the trail. If the shelter you've chosen doesn't do well, at least
you still have a warm and dry home to bail out into in the middle of the
night!

Sleep in it to see if the wind-flapping keeps you awake.
See if you have enough tie-outs.
Check to see if the seams keep water out, both in the floor and roof.
Do you have enough room for all the gear you need in with you?
Is you pack waterproof enough to leave outside the shelter or small enough
to fit in with you?
Do you have a place for your shoes that will keep them dry?
How does your shelter deal with horizontal rain?

If you're not currently on the west coast of the US getting slammed with
winter weather, test-pitch your shelter and spend the night inside during
the next real nasty storm in your area. Keep in mind that the weather can
get real bad in the Sierra during any month of the year. Prepare for it and
be happy for it when you have to "weather the storm."

Mtnned
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca