[pct-l] Maximum food & water at the same time?

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Jan 19 23:34:12 CST 2010

If you plan your resupply points right, you'll never have to carry more then 7days of food unless you are hiking really slow.  People often choose to go from kennedy meadows to VVR with no resupply taking 10-12days (including a day sidetrip up Mt. Whitney).  But that is optional.  You can exit over Kearsarge Pass and go into Whitney carrying only 7days (It's what I did).  So I can't imagine carrying 30lbs of food unless you want to.

Water weight is a different issue.  This year seemed cooler then normal so I only carried more then 4.5L of water once when I first left the Mexican Border with 6L.  In other years, you may need more water.  I had a 13 lbs baseweight when I started so I was probably less bothered by the extra water weight then someone who had a baseweight closer to 20lbs.  Though there was this one girl with alot of old school gear that hiked me into the ground with her fast pace despite the extra weight.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen