[pct-l] Maximum food & water at the same time?

RICHARD OSTHEIMER rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 20 20:19:36 CST 2010

P178 wrote: "Both times I've gone through I've
met numerous hikers who intended to hike through at the usual 20 miles per
day they had been doing so far and found 15 exhausting."

Hmmm.  I thought I was going somewhat slow and it turns out my average miles from KM to S Lake Tahoe were 20.2.  Not too bad for a then 63 year-old.

I did hike off thru Kearsarge Pass and took a zero at Independence.  Very scenic hike both out and in and I highly recommend it.  I took a nero at VVR---morning boat in, filled up with burgers, etc., bought some supplemental grub, took a shower, then afternoon boat out and up the trail a few miles.  Also resupplied at Mammoth Lakes via Reds Meadow.   Just made it to Tuolumne Meadows store before closing at the end of a long day and enjoyed lots of town food.  Should have bought two days worth of additional food there as by Ebbets Pass I was nearly out and had to make the very difficult hitch into Markleville where the general store had good resupply and there was town food and a yogied ride back at the bar-restaurant.  Next stop was SLT.  I had a time frame I needed to be at Donner Pass in order to fly back East for my nephew's wedding.  Next time, I'll slow down and smell more roses in the Sierra.

Handlebar